Joshua Tree Swirl - WC #887

I’d photographed this Joshua tree scene during the monsoonal season and a setting full moon. It’s rare to get this nice cover of clouds that work well during sunrises in this general area.
Full disclosure I did enlarge the moon a bit as the super wide angle fisheye lens did scale the moon smaller.

Mamiya RB67 ProSD - Mamiya 37mm - Velvia 50

1 Like

This is great, and a wonderful, creative submission for the WC. I like the moon as is, and wouldn’t have wanted it smaller! The only possible nit is the light cloud in the ulc, which I might burn down a little .

1 Like

Oh very interesting effect here, Paul. I am wondering if the fish eye effect is “in-camera” because of the ultra wide angle (from the 6x7 perspective) or is it a post-processing work? I agree with @Kathy_Barnhart to tame the UL corner, the tree is making a diagonal that points from sunrise to the moon (or vice versa, depending on how you read the frame from left to right or the other way round).
Love the color here, Paul.

1 Like

Adhika, the effect here is the fisheye lens being tilted at an upward angle. The nice thing about this fisheye is that it is not as radical as many fisheye lenses used on the smaller image platforms. In fact, if this lens is used as a straight on or level shot if you will you cannot see any effect beyond a very wide angle view…:sunglasses:

Paul, this is really neat, with the "swirling horizon and clouds, the apparently undistorted J-tree and the moon. Yes, a smaller moon would not work well here. In addition to the wheeee factor from the fisheye, the colors in the clouds are great addition.

1 Like

Great image! I like that the curve almost gives the photo movement. My eye swoops from the left to the j-tree, hits the moon and then settles back on the j-tree. The colors are pleasing as well. Nice work!

1 Like

Crazy and cool look at a J Tree. Great colors, too. ULC is not bothering my eye at all.

1 Like

Paul,

This is fabulous! Great job combing all the elements and the fish-eye works well in doing just that. Most times for me the use of the fish-eye doesn’t do much for me, but that’s not the case here. Not only fun, but very beautifully crafted - including the moon. Colors are beautiful too.

Well done sir!

Lon

2 Likes

Paul: It’s been a while since I’ve see a fisheye image so this is a treat. Love the color and light and the moon is icing on a very fine cake. :+1::+1:>=))>

1 Like

Very nice effect with all those semicircles. It would have been interesting if the tree had been stretched as well. Maybe it is stretched.

1 Like