Juvenile Acorn Woodpecker

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Canon 5D3, 600mm f/4 II + 1.4X III (840mm), ISO 1600, f/14 (for enough DOF, this close to the bird) 1/500 sec. Minimal adjustments, NR in PS with Topaz DeNoise AI. Slight crop from both sides, otherwise full frame. This individual shows nice coloration and the eyes are just turning from very dark to the very light (often pinkish) of an adult. The BG is a stand of trees 200 ft away, no retouching on it.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Detail and exposure is just superb. Excellent HA.

A beautiful image, Diane. The head turn is superb and I love the eye. I’m not normally a fan of perches that run into and out of focus, but this one seems to work well.

What a shot, Diane. Wonderful details in the woodpecker. Not familiar with the Acorn Woodpecker, but all of the woodpeckers I have dealt with are skittish, so I am impressed with this shot. That head turn is extra nice, and as Dennis pointed out, I love the eye. Great shot.

Great image, I especially like the head turn. Cheers, Hans

This is a very fine photo. I especially like the pose with the tail going one way and head the other. Nice separation between bird and bg, well exposed and a really good job on dof. The head turn is quite dramatic.

Hi Diane
I agree with all of the above. Nice work.
Peter

Excellent work on the exposure, detail, and pose.

Thanks everyone! Six weeks later this one (or a sibling) gave me a really fun pose – I’ll post it in a few minutes.