Juvenile Downy feeding

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Shot out my bedroom window.

Technical Details

iso 1600, 600, f5.6, 1000th, fill flash, D500

Love the engagement here with the viewer! Nice perch too

I would consider increasing the darks a little, reducing the Green saturation some and decreasing the exposure of the moss in the bottom left to decrease attention here

Nice catch of the juvenile. Details are good and I like the pose and the perch. Is that a peanut he has?
Perhaps darken the blacks in the bird just a touch? A really pretty shot.

Oh I love the independence! I bet it still begs for food, but great that it can get some on its own even if it is human provided. The pose and perch look terrific and if you hadn’t listed using a flash, I wouldn’t have suspected. It looks a bit cyan to me and maybe a nudge to cool the wb and bump the magenta a touch would help with color separation and avoid the slightly muddy look. Agree about the blacks in the feathers. Overall though, great job without even leaving the house!

Sweet, David. The greens look right to me. I’m not sure about the blacks as I don’t think I’ve ever been lucky enough to see a juvenile of this species and they could well be a bit brownish. I do think I’d crop up from the bottom to pretty much a square aspect ration to minimize the out of focus moss on the bottom-it’s a pretty large blob.

Hi David, nice catch with a terrific pose, perch, and background. Exposure and colors look reasonable to me. Agree with cropping some off the bottom since the out of focus part doesn’t seem to add to the image IMO. A fine catch.