Juvenile Mourning Dove

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My new feeder setup makes ground feeders more accessible. There are quite a few Mourning Doves and some juveniles. This one nicely hopped up onto a branch on the ground in soft early light.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome! The light was quite flat and I left it as it was, thinking the softer look fit this gentle, cautious bird.

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-07-21 at 4.02.02 PM

Very minor tonal adjustments in LR. Into PS for denoise and some softening of the BG. Minor cleanup on the branch.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Love this time of year - all the little innocent baby birds are stepping out in their fresh, perfect feathers.
Lovely image - tack-sharp, very complimentary BG, interesting perch.
Not the tiniest nit from here -

Doves are surprisingly beautiful when you get up close enough to study them. Eventually that blue eye ring develops along with remarkably bright feet, but for now the more subdued patterns are still lovely and fresh. Nice that you have a bonus species at the feeding area. Doves are so darn skittish though they frustrate me. I wonder if just a touch of saturation on the bird itself would breathe a bit more zip into things…just a thought. Countown to quails commencing.

Gorgeous palette in this image, Diane. I love the late summer look to the environment and the dove is so nice and pristine and such a perfect match for the environment that it really works well. I really don’t see anything you could do to make this better for my taste.

Hi Diane, really nice rendition of this beauty. Love the subtle but strong details. Complimentary BG sets off this bird quite well with the naturally muted colors. Well seen and taken.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank and @Allen_Sparks! There are quite a few Doves around, with juveniles of several ages, but they are growing up fast.