Juvie Starling

Is this stage more a juvie than a fledgling? (It fledged maybe 2-3 weeks ago.) Anyhow, I think the adult feathers starting to grow in are interesting. It was all brown at first. And it’s eaten its weight in suet several times over.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Canon R5, 100-500 + 2X at 800, 1/250, f/13, ISO 1600, soft early morning light. No adjustments in LR except a slight crop from the left. Into PS for NR and a subtle (I hope) vignette.

Pretty much nailed it. I like the pose and the perch has nice color, texture, and geometry. Background works well. Yeah, they’re voracious eaters of my suet and I wouldn’t put it out in the summer except the Western Tanagers like it as well.

Interesting, Diane. I don’t recall ever seeing a Starling with this color. I didn’t realize they started out so pale. Superb detail and a very nice composition.

I never knew their feathers grew in like this - so interesting and beautiful. Smack on perfect focus. And lickable light!

Excellent pose and plumage detail on the head. Wonderful head turn. Great job in the background. Yes this is probably a fledgling based on its color pattern. Nasty birds! They bully the other birds at the feeders and take more than their share. But they do have nice colors.

Amazing to see the adault feathers develop as you show in your image. It also makes up a very good image with its rather muted colors and good composition. As always, technically perfect!

Hi Diane
I am beginning to see the logic in your photograph setup. A reasonably camera setup, great bird development and you do not have run around the state of find birds to photograph. All that plus great looking photograph.
Peter