Karasjok in northern Norway

Aerial view from directly above the river bank

Specific Feedback Requested

Idea?

Technical Details

Dji Mavic 2Pro + Nisi Landscape polarizer

2 Likes

Thanks for telling me what I’m looking at . . . but I still don’t get it . . . which makes me like this even more. I get the trees on the right, but am totally lost on that river texture (if indeed that’s what the entire left side of the image is), but that’s OK. I like to be left guessing.

1 Like

Looks to me like the river is low and very silty and/or muddy. Definitely a brain bender, but in a good way!

1 Like

Wow - very cool! The contrasts are superb - colors, textures, shapes.

1 Like

Hi Jorma, this is some very interesting subject matter! It took me a bit to understand what I was looking at, and any time a photograph makes me think, I consider it a plus.

That said, I think there are some issues with balance that could be addressed with processing. One is that the river shore is quite bright, I would darken that quite a bit so it doesn’t command quite so much attention.

Another is that the dark “gorge” of river patterns gets a bit dark and muddy, and I would like to see that area brightened so that it’s not so jarringly dark, like a black hole that pulls my gaze a bit too strongly to be able to explore the rest of the frame. There’s also a bright area along the lower left edge that should be darkened, as it pulls me out of the frame.

Also in the realm of processing, the greens are a nice contrast to the browns, but relative to the river they feel quite saturated. I know they may be natural, so I would consider saturating the river a bit more, or bringing the greens down a bit, or both. I would also separate some of the greens with hue adjustments - perhaps the non-tree ground areas could be shifted more yellow so it’s not so homogenously green over there.

Outside of the realm of what can be changed in post, I’m not sure if I like the perfectly-straight-line river shore and the rigid rectangle of green it produces. I would like to see the scene shot at various angles, perhaps with the shore running diagonally instead.

I also think a very interesting image could be made out of the river alone on the left side (probably more interesting to me, since it would lack the context of the shoreline and trees which make the scene more “normal” in my mind). This would also enable you to go darker there, because it wouldn’t feel like a black hole surrounded by brightness, but rather like an intentionally foreboding presentation of the subject. You could probably just crop a composition like this out of your existing shot(s), but it is interesting enough that I would go back and shoot more compositions focusing just on that element, if you have the ability.

Still, this is very cool and I hope you keep exploring this subject!

Thanks for your feedback Alex and guys. I have photographed quite a lot of these sand formations and this one is rare because there is also a beach here. These are nice to photograph, but most of them are difficult because they are quite chaotic and you have to look for “sensible” shapes.

Alex, I noticed exactly the same things as you. UsuallyI like the contrasts to be a bit stronger and I’m fixing them a bit because this picture is going to a small exhibition “Abstract landscape” next week along with those beachless sand forms

Thanks Tony! These really get strange sometimes because the polarizing filter goes directly through the surface of the water 100% when photographed. The dark area is underwater and the lighter ones near the surface. This Nisi filter is the best you can get for that drone. The shooting weather is also accurate because there must not be clouds in the sky that reflect off the water. On the other hand, clouds work great for some pictures but it’s hard to know at the time of shooting. Usually, clouds create an impossibly pale film on the picture

This is a very beautiful and intriguing image Jorma. I love the two halves with the different colours and textures and I love that they are separated by that band of white in the center.

1 Like