Kestrel & Friend

A high key image taken in moderate fog and a very large crop, approximately 30% of full frame. This is more for the behavioral aspect; I wish I was able to get closer and better conditions.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

none

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Any pertinent technical details:

iso 800, 100-400+1.4 extender at 560 mm, F8, 125th, handheld, Fuji XT3, Adobe camera raw 11, Topaz AI clear, Topaz adjust, TK sharpening action at 5%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice capture of what looks like a very one sided friendship :wink:.
Out of curiosity were the small branches on the right cloned out or are they just remnants of breaking or prunning? They look a little strange - maybe natural though.

That Fuji looks like a keeper, David. Excellent image quality, particularly given the conditions and using a teleconverter with a zoom-usually a chancy proposition. It’s interesting that you chose this frame. When I was reviewing mine, I passed over this section where there was a clump of fur in the beak, but now that you’ve presented it, I can see the appeal.

Those branch fragments on the right are in the raw file and were not cloned. I did remove several OOF branches in the frame and the crop is close enough to miss a huge maze of branches below the posted image.

Wow, what a shot, David. I think the high key really makes the subject stand out. Looks great to have been cropped that much. Are you using Canon lenses on the Fuji XT3?

Shirley :

This a Fujinon lens and extender. Fuji makes excellent lenses. Thanks for the feedback…

1 Like

Super eye contact and a great behavioral shot here David, he seems to be saying “yeah, it’s mine, what are you going to do about it?” I like your balanced crop with the vertical branches on the left complementing the vertical position of the bird, well done!

Looks pretty good --lots of of good detail and I certainly would not want to be friends with this little little falcon :sunglasses: …Jim