Labyrinths

Interior “architectural” photography is a rarity for me. This photograph was taken at the Canadian Museum for Human rights in Winnipeg, Manitoba. It is the most remarkable museum I have ever experienced not only in terms of its contents, which heartbreakingly tap into the deepest recesses of humanity’s shadow, but also in terms of the building itself, the essence of which I attempted to capture through this photograph. I have called this image, “Labyrinths” after Jorge Luis Borges’ famous book of short stories, especially including “The Library of Babel”. For me the photograph imagines a kind of mind map – in its transcendence, immanence, and endless complexity.

Is this a composite? No

5 Likes

Wow this has some great use of lines and trajectories in it. Bold. Great colors, too, blue and golds always work well together. I find the shadows in the middle top section as well as the transverse across it to be a bit light. They look overexposed in the largest view. Maybe take them down a little? Otherwise, great job stepping away from your comfort zone.

Wonderful abstract quality to this image, Kerry. Thine lines and detail are great. I like how the rich gold lines in the foreground draw my eyes to the morning subtle soft blues in the background. Great find and nicely seen.

Really appealing strong and powerful lines and shapes, Kerry. I can almost feel the texture and details in the closest beams.
(I also like the thin white border, with the black outer border. Works great with this image. Do you do your borders in Photoshop? )
I’m glad you ventured outside your normal sphere of subject matter!

This is a great image, I love it! The geometry and colors are just wonderful. You have placed your self in the perfect position to get all parts in exactly the correct positions. And there are blue/silver colors at the top, and then more gold the more you move downwards.

This is delightful and amazing, with wonderful subtle colors! Sounds like it is very suited to the special museum.

Very good approach with an abstract interpretation of this museum architecture. Excellent diagonal components and composition. Textures are fascinating.

“I am perhaps misled by old age and fear, but I suspect that the human species -the only species-teeters at the verge of extinction, yet that the Library - enlightened, solitary, infinite, perfectly unmoving, armed with precious volumes, pointless, incorruptible, and secret - will endure.” A great story, and your so well-crafted photograph does conjure up the essence of Borges’ library.

@Kris_Smith , @linda_mellor, @Mark_Muller , @Ola_Jovall , @Diane_Miller , @David_Schoen , @Mike_Friel - Thank you all for taking the time to look and comment, so very much appreciated.
@Mark_Muller - Mark, I use the TK(8) panel which has a very convenient way to sharpen and save images as jpeg for online posting. It also has a button called “Canvas”, which allows you to add borders or, in this case, multiple borders for screen presentation.
@Mike_Friel - Ah, a literary man. Appreciated your digging out the quote. It got me to go back and read the story again. My God, he’s a magnificent story teller. So, interesting story of my own. Back fifty years ago, when I was in my early twenties, I lived for a while in East Lansing, Michigan at a friend’s house there. This friend owned a book store, and when Borges came to town to give a lecture series at Michigan State, this friend invited him to dinner and a private “soiree” attended by 10 or 15 others including myself. We sat around for hours mesmerized, while Borges wove stories, asked question and gave us a glimpse into the wonder and complexity of his inner world. It was one of the most intimate and memorable nights of my life.

2 Likes

What a wonderful experience! I went to a lecture by Borges in London some 50 years ago . (I had just done a dissertation on his work for my degree.) It was also an unforgettable evening.