Stairwell Abstract

It’s terribly hot in Tucson at the moment, so I try to keep my eyes open for indoor possibilities. Went to the Museum of Art on Sunday for the first time in over a year and stumbled on this stairwell that I didn’t even know existed there. Thought it looked a bit Escher-esque-ian, so made a monochrome sketch-o-graph out of it. It was only after making this that I realized it’s a miniature version of the museum itself, which has a square spiral layout that guides visitors through the various galleries. I’m thinking the architect possibly designed this stairway with this connection in mind.

Specific Feedback Requested

Really want to push the “sketch-iness” on this one without totally losing the photographic character. Does the balance look right?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
This was handheld and the camera chose ISO 12,800. Surprisingly, the noise seemed to work OK with the sketch concept.

Excellent abstract, Tony. To my eye, the sketchy thing is not noticeable, which means it works quite well in my book. Great lines and tones. Fine job on separating out the mids and making them stand out well. I really like this one.

I missed this one before – I love the wonky perspective and the treatment!