The stair

Description:

I often visit a city park close to where I live. I have here at NPN posted several images from photo walks in that park. When returning back home from that park I often pass by a multistorey car park. Everytime I think that it is a good subject, so one day I actually stopped and waited for a good moment. The car park is not that frequently used so I had to wait for a while before the lights where turned on and this man walked down the stairs.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any comments are welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

1/25, f/5.6, ISO 1600, Olympus pen e-p7 with 75 mm lens (150 mm equiv.).
No crop, framed with the camera.
Just minor exposure (reduced) and color (increase of vibrance) adjustments in post-processing. I wanted the image not to bright, so that the viewer look at the brighter spots first and the man walking down the stairs will not be immediately seen.

Ola, I think that poor man is looking for floor no. 2! Seriously, this image is pretty compelling, a bit like a Mondrian painting. I think it would be interesting to try to get a shot without both the man and Floor Minus 1, but instead including the floor above no. 3, if this were physically possible. The blue machine and the man distract me a little bit from the abstract composition which I like so much. But I appreciate that your intention was different.

@Mike_Friel, I really like your idea to simplify the image for it to become more like a Mondrian painting. I will revisit the car park and compose images with that focus.

I like it with the guy, too, but can see a simpler image here, too. As it is, it speaks to life and use of the building and how we move through our spaces. If the blue is too much you could do a color clone in Photoshop to make it green and it would just be part of the overall structure of the shot. Your deliberation and planning paid off so well! I think he’s looking for #2 as well. Wherever did it go?

I think this is fantastic as is, Ola. I like the man walking down and I also wonder where floor 2 is. Terrific shot all around.

@Kris_Smith and @David_Bostock thanks for your kind comments. I like the image as is a lot (with the man walking down the stairs) but also recognize that there are other types of good images to be found as pointed out by @Mike_Friel.

I know this is supposed to be a critique but I’m not seeing much to critique.

Others mentioned the blue of the machine but I kind of like that it is there.

I like how you chose to show the colors, lighting is good, composition good, interesting photograph all around.

@andronik, glad you liked the image. I see your comment (and similar ones) as very helpful since even if no “critique” it is very good to know how others experience the image and why they like (or dislike) the image.