Landing time

Taken in Eastern NC where birds over winter.

Specific Feedback Requested

General comments, thoughs, and how to improve

Technical Details

Hi Nelson - glad you posted this one since it’s pretty interesting. I think a newer trend in bird photography is to show more of the habitat and away from tightly cropped portraits. As a behavior and environmental shot, I think this works well.

A few things stand out to me though - the black level and saturation seems a bit too much. The water seems particularly blue and the dark shadows in the grass seem a bit deep. Another is the birds on either end of the frame - are they in or are they out? Cropping parts of them off makes it seem like you didn’t make a choice at all. So if you have a mind to do so I could re-crop this image to show just the landing bird and the two others nearest to it because that’s where the action is. Lastly, it seems a little soft to me. You don’t list anything about your camera settings, but a faster shutter speed combined with a camera support will aid in this issue.

I hope that’s helpful for you. You can edit your original post to include any reworked photos you have and also change the title of your thread to indicate you have added a second edit. This will let us know you have and allow the viewer mode to show one photo after the other for direct comparison. Cheers!

Thank you for your input. I had a lot of the same thoughts with this one myself and wanted to see what others thought BIF is new to me and still trying to figure it all out. Once again thank you very much

You’re very welcome. I totally stink at BIF and really need to practice more!

I like the apparent low angle for the incoming bird. The bird seems a bit centered and I could see a crop from the left.

Thank you. I am going ro do some work to it