Almost There

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This is a pretty hard crop - does the quality suffer

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I was debating whether to put the subject in the top left or bottom left of the crop - thoughts?

Any pertinent technical details:

Sony RX10 IV - 1/250, f/4, 160 ISO, 207mm equivalent
Edited in On1 Perfect Effects

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.!

Hi Dan. Welcome to NPN and the Avian forum. A nice subject and a cool background. At the size you posted it, it’s a bit difficult to tell about image quality, though at this size it looks pretty decent. I like the light on the landing bird and since it is landing it will be moving down and to the right, so placing it in the upper left makes sense.

This is a nice image and I look forward to seeing more from you.

I like the concept and the pose of the flying bird. You did well to get it pretty sharp when shooting at such a low shutter speed. I agree that placing it in the upper left was the right call. Like Dennis said, it is hard to gauge image quality at this size. I personally find the OOF bird pretty distracting. Perhaps if it was in the lower right part of the frame.

I agree that this would be better without the OOF bird, but it still is a very nice flight shot. I don’t think it would be impossible to clone out the distracting bird.

Thank you for the input @Dennis_Plank @Lyle_Gruby @Skip_Layman, I’ll have to remember to post a bigger size photo for critiques in the future. Your input on the OOF bird is well taken.