Lantana # 3

While I often shoot with the idea of having the greatest possible dof, I went the opposite direction this time. I like how the flowers fade to become patches of color rather than detail.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: 1/125, f/2.8 and ISO 250.

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Richard, I was thinking the same thing before opening and reading your comment. I do like the repetitive, yet fading blooms. We know that they are going to be the same, but it gives a bit of mystery to it, with them out of focus. Also, by doing this, the BG is out of focus nicely, no distractions. My eyes float through the image and back to the in focus bloom. Well done.

Richard: Your shallow DOF works really well here. Good comp and a fine result. >=))>

A good image with both the size and sharpness shows the stages of this flower’s growth. Interesting concept and presentation.

I think your choice of DOF works beautifully. I really appreciate the positioning of the other flowers in relation to the ones in the foreground. They are all nicely separated and don’t compete from the “main event”.