Last Leaves of Autumn

This is from Yosemite valley early last week, a little before a winter storm hit.

D810, 70-200mm

2 Likes

This is real nice, Mr. H. The detail is great all around, and I like your treatment of the grass. The central group of trees are lively due to the few remaining leaves.

No nits here. This is a fine scene well done.
-P

Harley, the leaves may be gone. But you captured new colors in a nice composition. It makes me think over the winter to come with still more and new possibilities. I am with Preston as my comment.

Harley, late autumn, or “Stick Season” as we call it in New England is one of my favorite times to shoot the the fall season. Sometimes those last remnant of leaves clinging to a mostly bare tree can have more impact that peak color, and that certainly is the case here. The dark green background is a perfect foil to tell this late autumn story.

I think you have a really strong composition here. You have included just the right amount of meadow grass to complement the rest of the scene. and I like having the smaller groups of trees to the left and right as well.

Both the processing and composition look great to me. No nits from me, I’m just having a good time enjoying this image, it’s very nicely done.

Absolutely loving this one Harley! And wow, how conditions changed in just a day… Just on Friday I was plodding through 12-18" of nice powder. The trees and meadows were considerably different after you captured this. So glad you were able to catch a few images before having to head back home.

Colors and processing in general are spot on to my eye. Agree with Ed that you’ve chosen just the perfect amount of foreground meadow grasses. I’m only slightly wishing we could see a little more of the trees on the left - but in the end, you’ve included more than enough to make the statement you wanted to include them. There’s a great balance with this composition as presented.

Lon

Harley,

Are these the trees across that one meadow accessible from the north side drive? I thought they looked familiar to me. I love the concept of the last leaves on the trees. I was looking for the same when I made my trip to the eastern sierra when I realized I made the trip a bit to late for color. I always find it interesting how the last leaves on a tree tend to be at the top where they would normally catch more wind than at the bottom but invariably always stick around longer. I like the overall balance of the image. My only nit is the dark green of the pine or cedar on the right edge, but removing it will throw the overall balance way off.