Last Leaves

The last leaves had fallen from the oaks into the lake. A recent rain had left water drops on the leaves and the low light made all the bits poking through the water surface stand out as it reflected off their surface tension.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique welcome. I can’t remember exactly what I did, but I’m always open to suggestions.

Technical Details

a7r3, 105mm, f/22, 1/8s, ISO 400.

2 Likes

A wonderful image!! The leaves are such interesting shapes and the surface tension creates such great outlines! I love the variability of how some of the leaves are just under the surface and others more suspended. The assorted debris a good supporting cast.

I’m not sure the leaf in the UL is contributing enough. I wonder if a crop from the top might give a good alternative image.

Bonnie, the surface tension does show off the floating shapes well. This view has a nice overall balance. I can also see a pano crop with just the lower leaves angling across the frame.

Thanks, @Diane_Miller and @Mark_Seaver. I sort of liked that leaf in the ULC, so I didn’t crop it out. I can see that it might work better if it wasn’t so close to the edge of the frame.