Late Afternoon Shower

I shoot a lot of landscapes in this National Wildlife Preserve (5V23+C8 St Marks, Florida). I especially like getting there in the late afternoon while awaiting nightfall to shoot Milky Way images and because there is almost always a late afternoon shower out over the savannah.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D850, 28-300 @28mm, f/6.3, 1/4, ISO 320

I spent about a week working through some of the TK8 panels using Dave Kelly’s youtube tutorials. This is image was a step by step of “Finding the Right Light.” I did do some modifications after the guidelines to strengthen the foreground separation of the low grasses to the higher ones and tweaked the rain area a bit more for better contrast. I also used one of his other tutorials on Orton sharpening but I find the end result to be overly dark, so I lower the opacity on the dark Orton.

4 Likes

I m really liking your processing on this image, Chris. It looks very natural with the light on the FG grasses complimenting the darker moody tones in the sky. The pano format also does a nice job of emphasizing the storm clouds along with the wide open spaces of the savannah.

1 Like

I’m with @Ed_Lowe, really like the processing. The larger image really shines.

1 Like

I agree with what others have said. The image really conveys a sense of vastness.

1 Like

Chris, this is an outstanding image with gorgeous light and dramatic weather. And your processing has done full justice to these wonderful conditions, great work on the processing here. Those golden grasses just look so rich . No nits from me, I’m enjoying this very much as presented.

1 Like

@Ed_Lowe , @Ed_McGuirk , @David_Bostock , @DeanRoyer Thanks so much for the encouraging comments. While I find much joy in using the TK8 panels, there’s more than a bit of a learning curve as there are so many options and then options within the options…but I continue to plug along and see what else I can conjure up. Now, to get out and shoot some more :smiley:

This is an incredible image Chris, especially when viewed large! I absolutely love the warm grasses together with the coolness of the storm cloud and the touch of vibrant green in those trees between those two brings the whole image together.

1 Like

Thanks, Tom! It’s been a bit of a journey, but your remarks along with the others makes me feel like I’m “getting” there.