Late Summer Pond, Eastern Sierra

Image: Late Summer Pond, Eastern Sierra

Description: Spotted this quiet scene along the wonderful Kearsarge Pass Trail. The pond was almost gone, as the snowmelt feeding its intake had declined to a trickle.

Specific Feedback Requested: Is the composition too tight? I tend to overcrop, but like how the components fill the frame. I was seeking intimate landscape treatments amidst all the vast scenic opportunities. The reflected clouds present a significant exposure challenge but also make the image, in my view. Thanks all.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon Z6II, F11, 1/800th, ISO900, 24MM handheld.

James, I think your “tight” composition does a good job of emphasizing the reflections in the pool. It’s a very peaceful scene. There’s strong eye motion following the stream from the bottom to the top, however that’s mostly along the left side of the frame. I don’t know if there were complications, but I do wonder about the view if you had taken 3 or 4 steps to your left, so that the eye movement is more diagonal. The distant wall peeking through the trees adds a lot of depth to the scene.

Thanks Mark — I’ll look at the other images from that shoot and see if any have the aspect you suggest. Probably also some HDRs to deal with the bright clouds — in the original shot, wider and taller, the horizon was captured badly blown out. Had to prune it off!