Lonely Leaf and Cloud Reflections

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I was on a solo hike through a local woodlands and came upon a small pond with this lonely water blossom leaf. I liked how the high clouds reflected on the water gave the image some additional depth.

Creative direction

I thought the scene evoked a sense of serenity and minimalism.

Specific Feedback

Did the image evoke the same feeling I felt as I came upon the scene? How eslwe would you have photographed and processed the image?

Technical Details

This image was taken many years ago with a small Leica and all data is lost to the ages.

Description

The wonders of coming upon a small pond deep in the forest hosting a single leaf and stem.

1 Like

Yes, Paul, the serenity and minimalism stand out. I also like how you’ve balance the two leaves with the ripple in the lower left. The bright to dark gradient (top to bottom) is also interesting, but does have me wondering how dodging the bottom quarter would look.

Excellent image, Paul. Yes, it’s definitely a minimalist image and to me evokes a sense of serenity. I think you could enhance that a little more if you’re into meddling with the details in processing. There’s a fair amount of grain or noise that imparts just a hint of film noir to the image which jars with the serenity. You could pretty easily get rid of a lot of it with a noise filter or even pulling the texture slider in LR to the left.

Thank you. This is an old image taken with an old, early digital camera. I will first run it through Topaz Denoise and see how that affects the image

Thank you for the suggestion. I will give it a try. Paul

Paul,
I agree with your thoughts on this image evoking a sense of serenity and minimalism. The ripple and the two lily pads balance each other beautifully and the reflected clouds make for another nice element in this image. I agree with @Dennis_Plank about needing a little noise reduction, but that is an easy fix. My only other suggestion would be to add a little canvas on the left and bottom edges as the ripple is cut off. Very nicely done.

Here is the image after Denise and stretching the LLQ to allow a full ripple. Paul