Lawyers Canyon Creek Trestle

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Imagine the views from the train.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

In order to cross Lawyer’s Canyon and other Camas Prairie gorges, a series of high railroad bridges was built in 1908. Most were timber. This structure is 1500 feet long and 296 feet high.
Since fire is always a danger with wooden trestles and bridges, this one was constructed with well-spaced concrete partitions to prevent the uncontrollable spread of a fire, should one occur.

Technical Details

Canon EOS 5D IV; Canon EF 16+35mm @ 33mm; f/8 @ 1/500 sec, ISO 400; Gitzo tripod; RRS BH 55; remote trigger

Specific Feedback

Whatever you wish, positive or otherwise.

Very cool, Bob. I think this might have been more effective if it were possible to get down the slop a little further and raise the road bed above the horizon in the image. I was down this road a few times many years ago, but somehow missed this turnout.

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for your comments and suggestion to shoot from a lower perspective. I found that dropping down the hill resulted in the trees/shrubs on the lowest part of the little hill began to cover the base of the bridge supports. I got as low as possible yet maintain the entire pillars. After all, it is a picture of the bridge. Removing the thin strip of the horizon above the bridge bed is fairly straightforward, but I do not find it to be distracting.