Left Behind

This little scene beach scene was just so melancholy, with the old fence post lying prone on the dune. It caught my eye because of the way the sunlight was reflecting off the wood surface. I processed it to reflect that mood (hence the lower contrast and subdued feel), even though it was a relatively bright day.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7, f/16, 1/400s, ISO 200.

This has a wonderful “glow” about it.

Isolated, but still looks like someone could reach and rescue it. The hazy sun works quite well for this. Have you tried a slight crop on the right eliminating that triangle of grass? It might strengthen the overall composition and add some tension. Very soft and introspective image.

I love that the post is glowing and pointing at the sun! The delightful detail keeps me wandering around in the image. Well seen and captured!

Bonnie, I’m loving the sense of melancholy here. Well seen and presented.

Thank you, @Ronald_Murphy, @Kris_Smith, @Diane_Miller, and @Mark_Seaver for your comments.

Kris, I did try various crops and finally settled on this one for some reason. I do see your point, though.

Nicely creative and a scene most would have walked right past. I really like your processing and it really does a nice job conveying that melancholy mood. No suggestions here.

1 Like