Lesser Goldfinch

I’m curious what you think: the larger version showing more of the landscape or the cropped version concentrating more on the bird. I like the setting the bird’s in, so I’m a bit partial to the larger version.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm: 1/1000 at f6/3; ISO 1000

Hi Allen. I tend to prefer the tighter crop in this case. While I like the vegetation, the composition in the tighter crop seems more nicely balanced and it still has plenty of vegetation to show habitat.

2 Likes

Both photos are very nice. I do prefer the bigger look with more habitat. The branch on the right side of the larger look is distracting. I am not sure if a crop just removing that branch is a third option. The leaves may look a bit abandoned? Well done.

1 Like

I’m with Dennis on this one and agree that the vertical crop is a better composition. Another bird that does not make it into west central Washington, at least that I have seen.

1 Like

A nice specimen with a nice perch. I prefer the tighter crop as the bird is partially hidden and that helps him to be more prominent in the frame. If he were perched in plain sight the wider crop would be nice.

1 Like

@David_Schoen. We had one at our feeders several years ago, but that’s the only one I’ve seen up here.

Allen: You could probably guess my answer in advance on this one :grinning: Definitely prefer the first image with more environment. I think this is a great example of showing where the bird hangs out and not about trying to show off the details of the bird. Lovely image.

1 Like