Levels

Specific Feedback Requested

1/250sec f/11 ISO100

Technical Details

All comments are welcome.

1 Like

I like the leading line, but it feels a bit unbalanced to me. There is so much more visual weight on the left and even though there’s presence, I don’t find what’s going on over there all that interesting. Maybe further down the beach where you could feature the line leading to one of those palm trees would be engaging. Certainly a lot of possibilities.

1 Like

An interesting beach scene and B&W is a good choice. I see the same imbalance as Kristen does. I think that it is caused by the dominance of the sand, which is rather amorphous. I think cropping from the right hand side and bottom would help. That way you would cut down on the dominance of the bright expanse of sand, in the foreground, start the diagonal precisely in the corner and have it run all the way to the right hand edge. It would also mitigate the lopsided vignette in the sky. These beach subjects are always fascinating.

I have walked down many such beaches in my life, casting lures as I went. Nothing feels unbalanced to me. This is exactly how it looks.

This is a beautiful B&W beach scene. I love the lines in this photo along with the palm trees swaying in the wind and the jagged rock formations in the far distance. When I first looked at this photo, I also thought maybe a small crop on the right to the beach line, but after taking in the whole view for awhile, I agree with Igor @Igor_Doncov. I like that my eyes end at the beach in the far distance. I could see myself sitting and walking on this beach all day. Thanks for giving me time at this beach.

Another nice one!
I love how the upper right is darker, holding your eye in the frame. Nice work!

@Igor_Doncov @Donna_Callais @Matt_Payne @Kris_Smith @jaapv Thanks for the comments.

Andre,

I like the composition - a classic lead-in composition; not just the line in the sand, but the whole beach pulling the viewer in. I want to walk in to and on that beach!

I think coastal landscapes are the most difficult to compose simply because of the angles and receeding nature of the landscape. Sure, maybe some palm trees or some feature at the end of the beach… but lacking some place to “end up”, I’m just content wanting to be there.

B&W is working well with this scene. Curious though why you chose B&W? I imagine the blues, greens and the warm sand would make for quite the postcard beauty. Maybe I just answered my own question…

Lon

Thanks for the comment Lon. Yes, you are right about the postcard syndrome. Although The potential greens that you mentioned are actually more of a dirty brown colour. Overall I found the yellows were too much and I liked the more minimalist look of the B&W.

1 Like