Lewiston Fall + 2nd Version

2nd VERSION (more saturation & contrast):

ORIGINAL:

This is from last fall along Lewiston Lake in Trinity County (CA). It often has the quietest water of any lake I know, which makes for cool reflections of the forest. It’s a great spot for canoeing.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments on color or contrast are welcome. I fiddled with them, as I wanted sufficient fall color, but not too much contrast.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 24mm, f/16, 1/50s, ISO 800, hand held.

2 Likes

Bonnie: I’m going to assume you used a polarizer on this also so that the lake bottom shows so well. I especially like the interaction of the reflected trees with the submerged rocks. I might be tempted to boost the contrast and saturation but this does convey a peaceful mood. Nicely done. >=))>

Bonnie, the svariety of subtle colors and low contrast stand out. I like the strong jagged line of reflected trees. I do think that some burning-in of the rocks and sky reflection in the bottom third would improve the visual balance.

Wow – you found the perfect composition for the tree reflection and the FG rocks! I love the soft colors and low contrast, but could see other variations with some boost in both FG and BG, relative to the middle ground of the tree reflection. Lots to play with but nothing wrong with this interpretation!

Thanks, @Diane_Miller, @Bill_Fach, and @Mark_Seaver for your thoughts. I went back and looked at a different version of this where I had greater saturation/contrast. I’ll post that version for comparison.

Yes, I must have had the polarizer on.

Bonnie: Your rework looks much better to me. Nicely done. >=))>

1 Like

The second one works for me! Great layering. Makes me want to paddle right in there.