Lichen-draped branch

I’ve been shooting this branch for a couple of years, with frustration. It needs the very calm air of early morning, but that’s also the only light for the BG, and it needs spring/summer foliage. The best angle puts me about 10 ft in the air, but I can get that angle from uphill, behind where I was when this was shot. But that puts me about 100 ft away and needs about 600mm. That’s doable, but the amount of intervening air can make the tiny lichen threads a little less sharp. It is also maddeningly 3D and I want the BG as OOF as possible. That means getting closer to the subject. So I have now tried the very sharp 100mm macro, and with the focus stacking of the R5, without having to touch the camera, I am finally pleased with the result. (I was very nervous it would fall off before I got what I wanted.)

Interested to know if this twisted branch is as interesting to anyone else as it is to me. If not, I’ll attribute it to my failure to present it adequately!

I’ve included a B/W but I like the subtle coloration of the lichen, which is too close to the BG for any color separation.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon EF 100mm macro with EF-RF adapter, f/2.8, ISO 100, 1/50 sec, sturdy tripod, remote release. Stack of 5 processed in Zerene Stacker with no adjustments needed in LR. Some cloning on the BG, nothing done to the subject. Full frame as shot.

Hi Diane,

I think you’ve done an outstanding job isolating the branch and capturing amazing details in the lichen - amazing detail at full view. In fact really amazing detail and so great job with the stack.

I much prefer the color as the branch/lichen stand out quite nicely against the bg - even considering they have the same color similarity - but of course the lichen is much lighter in tone. For some unimportant reason, the b&w just doesn’t have the same presence.

In my opinion, and and really by definition, it’s not possible for me to hold the same interest of this twisted branch as you - or anyone creating an image vs. viewing it. Admittedly you’ve been shooting this scene for a couple years… toiling with viewpoints, technical challenges, seasons, weather, light, etc. etc. You are INVESTED in this and it means so much more to you than someone like me who’s only viewing an image on a screen. So I can’t see any way that this would be a “failure” on your part because I don’t have the same experience; I wasn’t there and haven’t invested in the success, or interest as you; you as the creator. I think you’ve done a wonderful job of seeing, capturing and presenting the subject and certainly have created great interest with great success. I hope this makes sense that the interest will just never elevate to yours - So absolutely no failure here!

edit: And after re-reading, I sure hope I didn’t come across too harsh or direct. Turning it around, I never expect anyone to feel or experience the same thing I do with my images - and especially the part of experiencing the moment when capturing our images. So no failures! :slight_smile:

No nits or suggestions. Beautifully seen, captured and presented.

Lon

Hi Diane, this is an interesting study. I find I prefer the color version in this instance. I usually prefer B&W, but the background in the color version makes the subject stand out more.

I like the composition and the placement in the frame. It does hold a fascination for me, so I think you accomplished your goal there.

First off, I have to say to anyone else that views this, it must be viewed large or you will miss the incredible detail that this lichen branch has to offer. That aside, I much prefer the color version. I think the background of the black and white is too flat and uninteresting compared to the color version. I also prefer a tighter aspect ratio so I would, if possible, include more canvas on both sides of the image. I have been where you are in regards to finding something that you want to get right, where it requires reshooting, various techniques and multiple challenges to overcome the obstacles that prevent it from becoming what your vision has for the image. I can certainly see why this scene captivated you. The details of the lichen and the separation you achieved come across as I think you intended them to. However, because you put so much effort and time into this image I think it will certainly mean more to you than most viewers which does not detract one iota from the quality and the likability of the image at all. Like @Lon_Overacker, I don’t feel like a viewer will ever have the same connectivity with an image as the photographer that was actually there putting in the time and the effort that goes into a capture and off course the photographer has all of the memories of the trip, the smells, the weather, the hike and the feeling of the location, etc. In no way does this mean that you failed to adequately present your scene. I think this is extremely well thought out, and I also think that you achieved the desired depth of field that you were hoping to get.

1 Like

I have to agree with this statement. The beauty in this image is the intricate details in the moss and lichens. In some places the moss is so fine it looks like the web of a spider. When I looked at the large version the biggest change occurred when I enlarged that and saw a magnified portion of the branch. That’s the way I would go. However, you may have a specific reason for what you’re trying to get across in this composition. If so, I did not pick up on it yet. When you wrote that you have looked at it from different perspectives but this one finally achieves what you were after, it would help to know what it was you were after (emotionally; in reference to something).

Many thanks, @Lon_Overacker, @David_Bostock, @David_Haynes and @Igor_Doncov! Apologies for not getting back – I was out of town a few days and mired in computer issues on both ends. I definitely appreciate the reactions and comments – no offense would ever be taken at straightforward reactions! And it wasn’t logical on my part to wonder if anyone else reacted to this branch the way I did. Of course that just can’t be the case for any experience, and especially one you have to condense to a 2D facsimile.

I do agree about the color version being best for showing the delicate colors in the lichen. You may see it again, as I have one more idea to try to light the branch with falloff in the BG, but it is a bit impractical. With my husband’s help, I may see if I can light it with a big enough “barn door” to shade the BG from a very off-camera light, and shoot a set of focus stacks with the light at two angles and composite. It’s too big for an effective diffuser. (And I have a feeling he didn’t quite grasp what he was agreeing to, or at what ungodly hour. )

1 Like