Lichen, Glacier National Park

Image: Lichen, Glacier National Park

Description: Thanks for this opportunity to share a favorite closeup subject! Of course I was overwhelmed by the photo opportunities at Glacier, but especially the lichen. Glacier is the lichen photographer’s paradise because in addition to multicolored lichen, the host rocks are multicolored. Makes photographing the lake and stream beds a blast as well. I spent an hour or two wandering around one area just above the old Many Glacier motel area, shooting the lichen while keeping an eye out for grizzlies, which were very much present in the park.

Specific Feedback Requested: This photo was brightened a bit and I hit the contrast slider a hair, since I shot it in shade. I find I am tempted to over-process these kinds of shots because they look like wonderful abstract paintings, but it is easy to lose the natural look. The colors don’t always pop. How to keep them looking real?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Olympus EM1, ISO250, F7.1, 1/160th

Nice mosaic effect you have going here. The contrasting colors are really nice.

I often give two things a try - the calibration panel in Lightroom. Moving the three primary color sliders to effect how they present in each pixel can have some interesting and natural looking results if you don’t go crazy. Another, often simpler solution, is mid tones. I find that a lift in the mid tones can often bring the contrast to a pleasing level without distorting colors. You can use the tone curve to lift those, or the color grading wheel in that panel in Lightroom. Hope that helps!

James, this look perfect in terms of the colors. For a subtle view like this, extra “pop” isn’t necessary. Your comp. with the mix of reddish, greenish and white tones works very well, with interest throughout the frame.

Thank you Kris. I can see how elevating one primary color but not all could strengthen without distorting. Will also see about midtone solutions.

Thanks Mark. Might try a fairly large metal print for this.