Life After Death

In the Hoh Rainforest, Olympic National Park. I always love inspecting the roots of blow downs- what has been hidden from view for years. This Sitka Spruce had plenty to reveal and I also admired all the progeny that sprung up after it had fallen.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony RX10M4, ISO 125, f/2.4, 1/30, at 24mm (35mm equivalent).

1 Like

I thought I recognized that root ball. Nicely done.

Jim, this is quite a rootball, well frames. The new trees coming up at the top are a great statement about regrowth. It seems a bit bright to me, especially in the background.

I’ve tried many a times to shoot a tip up as well as this. Except for the over exposure and the hot colors, I think it works really nicely. Shows the structure and the massive solidity. I’d have another go with it.

Thank you @Kris_Smith @David_Bostock @Mark_Seaver for your helpful comments. I agree about the exposure being too much and had thought the image looked a bit different after uploading. I had to resize the original to get it under the 10 MB limit and apparently lost quite a few “darker” pixels in the process; comparing the two histograms confirmed that. So here is a reworked version with the exposure toned down.

The reworked image is better but I think you could dial down the saturation on the magenta tones. These root balls are always fascinating but photographing them is difficult.

Agree! Thanks @David_Schoen .