Searching

Original

More saturated

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

this image was taken almost 1 year ago to the day (actually July 24th) on my trip last year to the Pacific Northwest. This image wasn’t readily apparent to me but after walking by this clump of roots three times I finally got a grasp of what interested me about this root system. As most roots do, they search for a place to get a foothold where they can dig in and help sustain the tree.
This was a sunny day yet the root system of this tree was left in shadow created by the forest canopy so the light is actually not harsh as you’d imagine. I’m wondering if this is just a clump of roots upon first glance or if it draws you in at all? The first two times I walked by I saw a clump of roots but a clump of roots with some potential which is why I think I kept coming back to this. Let me know your thoughts on this and also if you prefer the more subdued version or the more saturated version. Thanks for having a look. It’s been quite a while since I’ve posted as I’ve been really busy with lots of things and photography has taken a backseat because of that but I have some images from the past couple of years that I’ve never presented so until I get out again and shoot, I’ll post a few from the past couple of years.

Specific Feedback

See above

Technical Details

Z9, 100-400mm lens @ 100, ISO 640, f/11. 1/30 of a second, hand held.

1 Like

Wow – the thumbnail of this grabbed me right away! I think it’s gorgeous and very evocative of… well… something mysterious that I can’t put my finger on. Which keeps me exploring and enjoying. I prefer the boldness of the more saturated version – it’s just more 3D. And I love the vignette! Absolutely no nits.

I’ve missed you here – life can definitely get in the way of our lives. I hope you’ll soon have time to be shooting again, and that in the meantime we’ll get to see more of your earlier work.

1 Like

What Diane said. This is gorgeous. Aesthetically, I prefer the more saturated version, also. It has more depth. That said, either one works. It does draw me in. The way those two main roots come up from the bottom and disappear into the other roots leads me into the frame and into mystery.

Hopefully you’ll be able to get out and about with your camera soon, but in the meantime we’d love to see older work. Clearly you’ve got some gems there!

This really does draw you in. I think that’s due to the strong vignetting which has been artfully done. There is a lot of mystery in these roots. As you know, I’ve been working on these type of images recently. And I’m trying to decide what qualities makes such an image work and not work. Another words, dark roots are everywhere but how do we compose to make a meaningful one. You must have had similar thoughts when you were shooting. I’m interested in your ideas. I have also come back with a bunch and am finding it challenging to decide which ones are ‘the ones’. And that lead me to the decision that I’m not sure what I’m after.

Yeah, we’ve lost some ‘senior’ photographers here recently. I do hope you post some of yours.

Hi David,

this one really pulled me in on the overview page! I really like dark intimate scenes like this. I agree to most of the things the others said, only personally, I tend to the less saturated version as the other one seems a bit too warm to me.

There was one tiny thing that bothered me. It’s the thicker root on the right side that seems to compete with the intertwined ones in the middle. In my quick version I burned the midtones a bit. I also blurred and cooled down some of the details in the surrounding, but actually your vignetting seemed already pretty perfect.
Markus

1 Like

@Diane_Miller , @Bonnie_Lampley , @Markus_Albert , @Igor_Doncov , thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. It seems like this has resonated with each of you even if you don’t know why and that’s my feeling about this image and these types of images as well. They’re just mysterious and moody and maybe even a bit creepy. Markus, I do like what you did with the bright root on the right side. Great vision. I will make those changes.
Thanks again everyone for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.

Oh, and Igor, I will make it a goal to post one or two of my much earlier images with the redwood tree trunks.

Wow, dark and moody to a tee. Very nice David. It drew me in as soon as I noticed it as I really like these dark tones in images. The small details of leaves and patches of lichen are just enough to create plenty of interest and keep my eyes occupied in it, while the subtle differences in exposure (and saturation?) in the second version create wonderful depth. I actually like the larger root at top right as to me it seems to balance things nicely.
Cheers.

This is dripping with mood and mystery, David! I love it. I prefer the second more saturated version as it just seems to add a little extra punch and depth to this intimate landscape. The large version is particularly nice and my eye gets to wander around and savor all those lovely intimate details with the intertwined roots, moss, etc. This is a very evocative image IMO. I am glad you took the time to figure out what was drawing you back to this scene.

I hear you on life getting in the way as it just happens sometimes. Welcome back.

@Phil_G , and @Ed_Lowe , Thanks for your comments.

Phil: I may keep working on this one as I think I might try a version that is somewhere in between @Markus_Albert redo and the original. I tend to like the less saturated version but maybe in the rework I’ll go somewhere in between the original and saturated version with color. I’m conflicted about that large root. I’ll just have to play with this some more. Thanks for takin the time to comment Phil!!

Ed: Yeah, life has certainly gotten in the way lately but I was able to get out for about 4 hours while traveling through the redwood forests on a recent trip. Would have loved to spend a week there but…! Thanks for the welcome Back. It’s great to be here again. Thanks for your comment. Ed. This was a tough one to figure out while in the field. I’m glad I finally saw the light. :slight_smile:

I definitely like the more saturated version David. The detail and color are striking. The roots’ complex knots do add to the mystery.

Thanks, Eva. Glad you like the version with a little more pop to it. I totally understand. Thanks for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Splendid. I live most the play of lights and shadows with their infinite nuances that hide and reveal. I too like better the more saturated version. Beautiful, never leave such images in your archive!

Looks to me like you have got it just right with your revised version. Love it!. Cheers.

1 Like