Lift Off

Image Description

This photo was created in late autumn of 2022. I hade my waders on & had been shooting mid stream for a good portion of the morning. As the sun started to creep above the hills around me, most of the scenes got a bit too bright for my liking. I began to walk back toward the parking lot when a particular cascade caught my eye. The location I was at has a board walk that was recently built as the trails right next to the brook became quite treacherous to navigate. From the walk way, I wasn’t able to get a good view of the cascade that grabbed my attention so I hopped the guard rail & crawled underneath the walk way. I could just fit under there & shot a few hundred images from under there.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

This is an ICM shot. I was panning down the cascade trying to match the speed of the water. The blurred orange, yellow & blue gray tones are a combination of fallen autumn leaves & the rock the water was tumbling down. I made 5 or 6 shots I really like & I think this one fits quite well into Weekly Challenge 1082 Texture. I’m always open to feedback & would love to hear suggestions & criticisms, especially if they may help me to improve the image.

1 Like

Excellent – what a nice idea! You got an image that’s unique and very pleasing, with the moving water adding quite a different element to ICM! I love the colors, too!

1 Like

Hi Diane, thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it! I have a number of shots from that particular day I’ll share over the coming weeks. My favorite photo from 2022 is an ICM from this “session” that day.

Hi Kris, I really like this shot, very creative! At first glance I thought it was some silky plant material caught on some wood, so that would make it a good abstract also. The soft brown hues make a nice BG for the white, flowing water. Well executed from your vision.

1 Like

Hi Jim, thank you for the feedback! I definitely consider this & the others from the set abstract. Interestingly, the abstract photos I do tend to elicit more of an emotional response than the more literal landscape photos I make. It’s kind of odd but the more I think about it, I feel like there is some kind of subconscious guiding hand at work on some of them, as if there are thoughts & emotions deep down that need to get out & they come out in the form of an abstract photo. I know it sounds odd, but I think there’s something to it!