Liliaceae & post of original image

Original image…

Back in May on a morning hike after the rain.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, 180mm, 1/320, f/5.3, ISO 100, cropped

apani.hill
1 Like

Very nice image, Vanessa. I love the composition, and the detail in the water droplets. Nice background too. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks so much, Mark! I’m glad you like it!

Lovely light and droplets! A new flower for me so thanks for sharing. The composition is nice, but maybe a little more room on the left would make it even stronger. Such a beauty!

1 Like

You have very nice tonal control here and soft colors. I like the color variation in the BG, with some warm tones picking up the brown stem and some golds that are nice complements to the mauve flower. The visual flow goes up the stem and out the bloom to the left and hits the frame too soon for comfort. It would have been good to rotate the camera a bit to make the bottom of the stem vertical, placing the flower a little farther from the frame.

1 Like

Thanks @Kris_Smith and @Diane_Miller , here’s the original size, I think I was originally trying to make it vertical in camera, but it just wasn’t working because the flower itself kind of bends and the angle it was in the grasses and where I was and could be on the trail wasn’t working. This is the original size…any thoughts are appreciated on how to crop? A square crop is the only thing I can see so that all of the stem is there and there’s more room on the left, but I don’t really like a square crop for this flower, maybe just keep it as is?….

1 Like

I would have tried a vertical with the camera tilted a bit. Here’s a rotation with some content-aware fill and a bit of 50% opacity cloning on the BG. You could make it a bit less squarish by adding canvas on top and filling, or cropping a little more off the left.

This sort of awkward vertical is a corollary of a crooked horizon.

1 Like