Rain lily

Rain lilies bloom only after it rains and this one popped up just yesterday. I got this image first thing this morning, trying to catch just a bit of the morning glow. As you can see, these little flowers will grow anywhere - even between rocks. But you have to be quick, otherwise the deer (who love them) will eat the entire bloom.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Are the petals of the flower detailed ok? I did pull down the highlights and also pulled the curves of the whites down just a bit. Any other thoughts/comments are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I like the way the leaves mimic the curves of the rocks, does that work? Or is it too subtle? Any other thoughts/comments are welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/18, 1/50 sec., iso 320, Nikon 16-80mm@80mm

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Thank you.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

So nice to see this in its environment, Linda - a beautiful shot, with the flower standing out so well against the bg. I like especially that you’ve left the whole of that very graceful leaf extending to the edge of the frame.

Thanks Ian. I love watching these little guys pop up after the rain. . . and before the deer get them. This one did have really nice lines and I liked the way it was reaching towards the sun. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Looks tasty. Whites look good on my monitor. I will echo your comment about the leaves. Nice environmental shot.

Very nice, Linda! I like how you composed it to show all of that long leaf. The blue cast on the shaded portions of the petals actually helps provide the sense of time (the early morning feeling.) The rugged, rocky background really amplifies the clean shapes and lines of the flower and leaves. Well done!

Thanks to all of you; @Ian_Wolfenden, @Michael_Lowe and @Gary_Minish. I appreciate your thoughts, comments and kind words.

Linda, the whites look just fine. I too like the mimicry between the leaves and the crack in the rocks. The flower stands out well and that red sheath that it comes from is a nice extra bit of color.

Linda: This is a wonderful find and a great comp and capture. Whites look good to me and the red on the stem is icing on a very fine cake. Most excellent. >=))>

Thanks @Mark_Cillo and @Bill_Fach for your kind words of encouragement. Take care.