Lily Pads

On a cloudy day after overnight rain, the wet lily pads at a local wildlife refuge showed a nice mix of colors. The original file was very low in contrast. As I expanded the histogram, the view took on a touch of abstraction. (7D2, 100-400 @ 188, 1/80 s, f/10, iso 200, tripod)

Very cool! That little fin-looking thing makes me think of a shark LOL.

Mark, I was also immediately drawn to the fin. It breaks the pattern of the lilypads and just make a very interesting anchor. The color is definitely beautiful. The variety of green, yellow, and purple makes it very abstract indeed.

Really gorgeous Mark. I love the color palette here, the purples yellows and greens are very appealing. I too am attracted to the fin, I think it makes the shot more dynamic, and creates a resting place for the viewer’s eye among the pattern of the lilypads. Controlling how things appear along the edges of the frame without creating distractions is often difficult to do well, but i think you have done an excellent job of managing the frame edges here.

Great color and patterns. I will be the contrarian here, as I find my attention completely drawn to figuring out the shark fin and the rest of the image manages to escape me.

1 Like

Beautiful photo! The composition is amazing which is often difficult with random patterns in nature. I agree with Harley, the fin is distracting and if it were my photo I would clone it out.

I agree the fin is distracting; otherwise very nice composition. I think it needs just a slight bump in color saturation, or alternatively a slight increase in midtone contrast.