Lilypad in the rain #1

During today’s all day rain event (at least so far), I went out to see how the rain drop ripples in my pond were looking. There are three lilypad leaves for some extra interest. As I started shooting, the rain started coming down hard. I was glad that my camera was wearing it’s rain gear…however I was getting soaked very quickly… Here’s one shot where there’s lot of rain hitting the pond action. (R5, 100-400 @ 200 mm, 1/40 s, f/13, iso 800, tripod)

2 Likes

I really like this, Mark. It has a sense of vibrance with the rain drops. The lily pad is wonderfully placed…I might have moved it down a little bit, but that’s just me.

I also wonder how this might look as a longer exposure to catch more rain drops…and maybe with a polarizer to reduce the reflections…of course that would make it an entirely different image. So, I’ll just enjoy it as is.

Cheers,
David

From the thumbnail I thought this was a leaf frozen in ice (how foolish of me) but then I read the title, had a closer look, and saw the rain and I gasped. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an image like this and I really like all of the textures created by the rain drops – amazing! Wow, this looks perfect to me and I have no suggestions for improvements.

You have captured another excellent abstract Mark. The texture of the water’s surface and bright yellow of the lily pad are wonderful.

Wow. This is fantastic.
You really have to look at it big.

Hi Mark, this is a wonderful shot! I am really enjoying the turbulent pattern of the water surface with the “bullet holes” and the contrast of colours between the grayish blue and the yellow is a winner. The leaf as the main subject is fantastic and the loupe effect of a small sheet of water resting on its surface is very interesting - almost like a transparent butterfly wing! I see a nose and mouth viewed sideways on the leaf… the whole scene is quite fascinating really. I also love the colour variations in the grey with some yellow, greens and even browns and purples. Presumably these are reflections? Or are they other leaves and stuff just under the surface of the water? I tried a vignette to focus the attention more on the leaf, but it resulted in the water surface losing some power, which is a shame.

Mark, I missed this one the first time. It is a beautiful abstract. The shutter speed is very well chosen. I like the contrast between the chaotic water and the calm beautiful lilypad.