Wet lily pad

Technically, this taken was during today’s all day rain event, but if you want to reeeaaaallllllyyyyy stretch the topic it was after about 6 hours of rain, with only a couple of hours left before it finally stopped… :wink: I think that this lily pad is the cool weather version of the ones that Michael Lowe (@Michael_Lowe) shows in his Longwood gardens views, which is why I’m posting this now. The flowers are very similar in color, but it’s way to early in the season for flowers. My pads will be solid green or green with some reddish tones by early summer. This is a 9 shot stack to get the entire pad sharp, with the motion in the water due to the falling rain being somewhat more complex that you’d see in a single shot. (5D3, 100-400 @ 248 mm, 1/30 s, f/25, iso 1600, tripod and raingear)

3 Likes

Wow, this looks almost psychedelic. The surrounding water has a Van Gogh feel to it. It creates a lot of tension. This is excellent. It’s like the primordial Big Bang, with everything exploding from the center and all those nebulae around it. lol.

Oh Mark, this is really nice. I just love greens and reds of the pad, and those waterdrops with their reflections. The most of the water around the pad just centers the eyes on the subject. Great shot. :+1: :+1:

Really grabs ya. @Igor_Doncov stole my thunder with his psychedelic . That was my first impression.

Rain puddles served on a platter! this is great, Mark! It definitely has a very “Out of This World” abstract look to it. I love the variety of colors in the leaf. Some sharpening in the large version would make the drops more clear and 3D looking. You can see the difference it would make by comparing the small version (which is automatically sharpened by the system) with the large version.

For this image, instead of the like button we should ones with ‘Groovy’ and ‘Far Out’.

1 Like

I am totally “awed” by how to get these amazing colors (and detail) from these lily pads. Truly wonderful photo Mark.

Beautiful, Mark. Great patterns and colors. No suggestions here, just really enjoying this one.