After the rain

This is a look at the early spring lily pads in my backyard pond after a shower yesterday. A 10 shot stack for top to bottom sharpness. These same lily pads will be nearly solid green by summer.

4 Likes

Another great look at your lily pads after a rain, Mark. I am sure enjoying them.

Really beautiful Mark. This image is an advertisement for the use of focus stacking in situations like this, it is just so crisp and sharp looking front to back. I absolutely love how the large water drops act like tiny lenses and magnify the patches of green and purple color in the pads below. These “lenses” make the color contrast of the green/purple more pronounced than it would be without water drops. The arrangement of the pads is also very pleasing, the isolation of the one in the LRC really pulls your eye there. My only suggestion would be to clone away the dark “spot” below the pad in the LRC. Being right on the frame edge makes it an eye magnet for me.

At first, I don’t really care about the LLC perhaps because the beads are rather imperfect but on a second look, it really balances out everything so nicely. And I love the purple on the leaf. I am with @Ed_McGuirk about cloning the dark spots.

Another excellent look at the pond. I am also on board with cloning all the dark spots, but otherwise, looks spot on to me. Really enjoying these.

Cool. Those colors are so pleasing - I love greens with purples. That one dark shadow in the LRC is a bit distracting. I like the little bits of the other water plants, too.

This is amazingly crisp and sharp from front to back, Mark. I love the way the water drops have picked up the varying shades of color from the pads themselves. They almost have a psychedelic feel to them. I agree with cloning out the black area along the bottom edge as @Ed_McGuirk has suggested. I am thoroughly enjoying these scenes from your pond.

Mark,
There is so much to like here, the composition, details and colors are just wonderful. It is easy to spend time wandering around this intimate scene. The sharpness is spot on and perfect for this image. Beyond the dark spots mentioned by others, I have no suggestions.

Beautifully crisp and with such a subtle range of hues, Mark - a most excellent shot. The pads also seem to have composed themselves into a very satisfying composition !

For myself, I think I’d like to see a different alternative to cloning out the dark spot, and that would be to move your name over to the left side of the image, on top of the drops & pad there. Your signature where it is flattens the image, and the dark spot tries to add a whole new layer, and the two fight with each other. I think I would like the two dark spots, and their relationship together, if they were allowed to breathe on their own. In some ways they are, for me, something that sets this image apart and makes it that much more interesting. The signature there doesn’t let that happen, though. I like the composition, that you weren’t afraid to crop in pretty close.