Lily leaves in the rain

Thinking about the many ways that we still photographers show motion had me going back into my archives as I reviewed the many possibilities. This is a shot from 2015 of some late fall water lily leaves (hence all of the none green colors) in my pond during a rain event. I have others that capture flying drops on the rebound from the splashes, but I like the ripple pattern in this view.

5D3, 70-200 @ 150 mm, 1/200 s, f/16, iso 1600, tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Oh, I love the way the rain drop ripples mimic the round lily pads!

What a neat photo, Mark! I just find myself gazing throughout the image. So much to see. The ripples, the lily pads, the water on the lily pads, back to some of the ripples. Such an enjoyable photo. I can almost hear the rain hitting the water and pads!

Excellent, Mark. Love the combo of patterns and colors and the drops are great too. I might drop the high/mids on the leaves a bit? Real good stuff.

Very nice, everything about it. Looking forward to seeing it on a big monitor later today.
TY

Harley, how ironic, I was thinking about some burning-in of the pad highlights when my wife walked in and said “don’t you dare”. Now I’m stuck between her and you…guess who wins…:rofl:

The ripples do make a wonderful way to convey a sense of motion, Mark. I love the patterns they’ve created.

A very colorful image, Mark! I like how the ripples echo the shape of the lily pads. You can’t have ripples without motion so it works nicely for the challenge also.

I have always liked this shot. The geometry is amazing.