Winter Rain #2

On a dark, chilly, rainy winter day, one of my escapes to outside is to photograph the rain’s effects on my pond. Since there had been some recent warmth there was one fresh lily pad leaf floating on the surface. These need a moderately fast shutter that allows some blurring of the ripples and (when I get lucky) catch the rebound splash from a raindrop. (1/200 s, f/10, iso 3200, tripod)

5 Likes

Hi Mark,
you have really frozen a great moment here. I love these ripples that seem to mimic the lily pad by their size and shape.

A great way to spend a rainy day.

Mark, you have these pond scenes down to a full on art collection. I suspect the rain event ones are at the top of the best from what I recall. This is another fine addition to that particular genre. I can see your point on the shutter speed too. Not sure if you tried any with a polarizer for a different look. The polarizer in NIK might be worth a look too. Regardless, they all seem to come away with a nice unique look & feel in the end.

Mark,

Wonderful, “rainy day” nature abstract. The circles are great and as mentioned I like how they mimic the lily pad. The frozen droplet is icing on the cake with this one.

I could see a 7:5 ratio crop slicing some off all sides but the bottom. Just tightens things up, but of course a very personal choice. Otherwise, can’t think of anything I would do different.

Kudos for getting out in the rain!

Lon

Mark, this is another lovely water abstract! I like how the ripples mimic the single lily pad. Keep them coming and good work getting out in the cold and the rain.

Nice repeating shapes - quite mesmerizing in a way. I know the pain of trying to find the right shutter speed for water that is moving a little as I had a similar conundrum with the latest Lake Superior photo I posted. There were small swells moving through the scene and shifting the line of ice and I wanted to get it reasonably crisp, but not push the ISO too much. Oh what we go through! A terrific edition to your pond portfolio.

This is wonderful, Mark! The way the ripples mimic the round lily pad is so perfect.

A wonderful meditation on expanding waves and interference. The lily pad provides the still centre.