Lily pads (additional image without lily pads added)

Another image from the previous week travel. These are reflections in a small creek. The creek had trees along it, and in areas where the sun shone through between the tree trunks, the red creek bottom is visible.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
f/14, 1/20, ISO 800, 20 mm (40 mm equiv.) travel camera Olympus Pen E-P7, Olymous lens 14-42 pancake, handheld, JPEG
Some clone and stamp to make the image more pleasent!

3 Likes

Beautiful Ola. Color palette is appealing. The composition with placement of the leaves is strong. Without the leaves would also be a great abstract. Nice!

1 Like

I like this image very much. It’s complex and intriguing yet not confusing. I would love to see this image not askew. If you have a version that’s oriented normally I would love to see it.

2 Likes

Very beautiful image, Ola! I love the colors and the lily pads really add to the overall style.

1 Like

Great use of color and light Ola. I love the surreal, abstract look contrasted against the realism of the 3 lily pads. I actually like the skewed look of the angled view. For me the unusual angle of view adds to the surreal look of the image. And I also like the strong diagonal lines of the trees playing off against the diagonals of the red going the opposite way. These aspects of the image make it even more surreal, which to me is a good thing. Great work on this one.

1 Like

What Ed said - great use of color and light, and the contrasting diagonals of trees and color. I’m a bit put off by the inclusion of the lily pads. They add an element of reality to an other surreal abstract. They certainly add visual tension to the scene, so if that’s what you’re going for, this succeeds. At any rate, this is very cool.

2 Likes

Bonnie, I think this would be a very strong image without the lily pads too. Ola has some interesting options with this one.

@Ed_McGuirk, @Mario_Cornacchione, @Igor_Doncov, @Bonnie_Lampley and @Vanessa_Hill thanks for your kind comments. Regarding the lily pads I have not yet made up my mind, but a rework without the lily pads are shown below. What do you think?

This image was found during a day of touristing in the famous Swedish glassworks region, so I had no time to test different framing!

4 Likes

Exceptional!

This final image sans lily pads is exquisite. The 45 degree angle in the frame sets the whole presentation apart from the ordinary. It’s a work that I would hang on my gallery wall.

Namaste

Late to the party
Great work @Ola_Jovall i love the image. The colors and the diagonal lines.
For me as a viewer i connected more with the lily pads in the image. At first glance my mind tries to figure out what this is then when i see the pads it grounds it in reality. I personally prefer that to the total abstract.
That being said the full abstract is also beautiful.

I like them both equally well, I think they each have their own style.

1 Like

Ola,

Oh My! This is wonderful! So much to love about this photograph. I love the abstract nature of this in general, including the “skewed” diagonals, perceptive, angle of view, however one wants to classify this.

Then there’s the colors, great contrast. Just so much to explore and enjoy here.

My first thought was that I enjoyed and appreciated the presence of the lily pads; just a touch of reality to ground such a great natural abstract.

As others have pointed out, there are other potentially great options all within this image. I like the second post, although I’m not sure the remaining “poppy-looking” eye magnets in the LL - then again, that may be a bonus for some. Regardless, many options. Even a square crop up top would be a wonderful image.

Great vision no matter how you slice it!

Lon

1 Like

Dear @Lon_Overacker, @Mark_Seaver, @Eva_McDermott and @Shirley_Freeman,

Reading the posting by Barbara Graham on how to thanks for an editors´s pick I hereby will in this reply take the opportunity to thank you all for the 9 editor´s pick I have received (so far I hope)!

NPN has been of a great help to accelerate my development as a hobby photographer since I joined in October last year. The editor´s pick is of course encouraging and boost your ego somewhat but most important give you additional energy to go out there to find new interesting things to photograph.

It is also some guidance that you are on the right track! This is of great help, since I slowly started up as a hobby photographer in September 2018, and have not yet fully developed confidence in or knowledge of my own style and major areas of interest.

Best Regards,

Ola

3 Likes

Ola, I am so glad to hear that NPN has been a help to you along your journey in photography. That is what it is all about here.

What a great creative image you have here. It is so much to love as I view it. Amazing!

Ola, I too love this image. It has such beautiful colors and I love the angled look. I prefer the one with no lily pads, but they are both great!

Ola, I really like the repost with the lily pads cropped out. This works really well. I love the colors and angles here.

The lily pads worked for me but I can see how when everything was diagonal the horizontal lily pads looked out of place. Removing them also created a good image. I didn’t support the tilted landscape because I saw no good reason for it. But that’s just my viewpoint.

1 Like

@Aref, @paul_g_wiegman, @Shirley_Freeman, @Craig_Moreau, @Lon_Overacker and @Mark_Muller thanks for your kind comments.

This was my original thinking when including the lily pads.

I will investigate this.

Not a clear-cut NPN decision on the lily pads, so I guess I have to decide myself! Need some more thinking …

1 Like

The way i treat NPN feedback is:

1. if there is a technical error i try to fix it and or avoid it next time. The amount of talent and experience here can point out things that i would never think off.

2. Artistic / Composition feedback. Use it to gauge what impact the photo may have on viewers who appreciate the art of photography.
    Take the collective experience of the group into account and consider all suggestions to learn the possibilities. Then ultimately decide for myself what i would like to do.

This is how i chose to structure my learning in the platform

1 Like

Lon, above I forgot to respond to your following comnent

I tend to agree, I will dampen that part.

1 Like