Lines with Power

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

i love shooting images with lines and tone …

Specific Feedback

i could have framed this image a bit different but the imperfection does question the eye. This image could be cropped a bit different and maybe reshape the tone some. But i had fun looking and taking a few shots and see what happens…In my world , photography has to be fun and creative and different… just like my music !!!

Technical Details

ISO 200 shutter 500 f18 edit in photoshop

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

I like your attitude about doing photography. The starkness and contrast of the image is eye-catching. Great lines and geometry. I keep thinking I’d like more room at the top rather than cutting off the top arm and curving wire. Not knowing what is excluded from the shot, I wonder what a vertical orientation would look like.

Yes. More vertical would have been better. But I like the width of the image as well. I probably should have shot both ways. When my arm is better I’ll go back and do a series of images and present them together.
Thanks for showing interest. :camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash::camera_flash:

I really like this! Wonderful seeing!! I have liked all of this kind of shot you have posted lately. Looks like artificial lighting at night, but maybe you are working some magic with daylight images?

My husband just wandered in and said he also found it very interesting. I referred to it as a power line but he said it was something more like an electric fence. So now I’m curious…

I like spontaneity, but I always feel it can be tempered with fine-tuning – a little more here, a little less there… In that regard I agree with @Chris_Baird about wanting more at the top and bottom – but clearly that’s just me. I always think a really good idea (and this is!) could often be just a tweak more intentional.

Music is a limited analogy, but it’s maybe sort of the same thing as your spontaneity with music, in that I’m wondering if you tune your guitars? (Unconventionally, maybe, but tuned?) I always liked John Fahey’s zany takes, but I’m pretty sure they were tuned. Just differently, sometimes. And a few surprisingly wrong notes here and there, but they always felt intentionally wrong. (Well, usually.)

Or back to a photography analogy, your images remind me of a lot of some of the wonderful things that Cole Thompson does.

Thanks. Original photography and music together as one is the goal now. My new journey. I just finished a 33 page book with images and music. For family and friends. My music is on YouTube and Spotify if interested. I’m planning an image video for YouTube in the future. Just to a part of positive creative art. Lots of different styles and tones. I do it all for creative fun. Self expression and never perfect. There is no real perfection. I’ve learned that over 72 years. Just be able to contribute something positive to the world. Cole Thompson really explains things very clear to me. No Rules , express your vision and be yourself in the creative process. The NPN is great that I see so much creativity and honest images.
Thanks for showing interest in my images. You do beautiful work and have passion for your Art. Very cool.
Peace to you. :pray::earth_americas::pray::camera_flash::camera_flash:

Another very interesting image of power lines, Gill. I like the black and white tones you got. Unlike a couple of other people, I don’t mind the vertical dimension, but could maybe see the pole a little further left in the frame to provide more of a flow. However this position does add a little tension to the image: which way is the power flowing?