Lions in the morning mist

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Early one morning I drove to a spot where I had photographed a pair of mating lions the previous day. As it was at elevation and the sun had not yet burned off the fog I was able to capture the pair as they began to change location. The male led, and I waited until he stood up and began to walk and the female was rising to a walking position to take the image. I wanted to give the impression of motion (as they emerged from the mist), so I waited until the male had his front paw raised and the hind paw off the ground.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback on the composition, and suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Technical Details

Camera: Nikon D850; lens: Nikkor 70-200 mm f 2.8
Settings: 1/1000 sec @f 2.8, ISO 1800 @70.0mm

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Garnet, the fog and the lifted feet look great here. The limited contrast adds well to the feeling of being an isolated observer of this action. I wouldn’t change a thing.

This is a great image of the king and queen. It is almost peaceful, yet somewhat tense in the fog like that. Nice pose from the male, nice backup from the lioness. Great misty moment.

Very nice image - The intense stare of the male, and nice pose is great, and the female “backup” adds a lot.
Well-framed, and the muted mist adds a mystical quality.
Well done!

Thank you @Mark_Seaver , @Ed_Williams and @SandyR-B for your feedback. It is much appreciated.