Liquid Gold

What makes this image expressive?

Hi Alister, I hesitate to post this since you’ve gotten so many submissions already in your first day. But, that’s what it’s about, right?

This is an old image of the Virgin River in Zion National Park. It is a 24x30 inch print hanging in my living room.

I think sometimes expression can be intuited by many people, sometimes only by the photographer (or artist). This one may be the latter. It had rained quite heavily the night before and the Virgin River was a muddy brown flowing mess. Then the sun hit the red cliffs in the valley and lit up the water with this wonderful glow. Combined with a bit of blue sky reflection, I had to try to capture the essence. So I went with a half second shutter.

For me the expression is wonder. How can a muddy running river look so wonderfully colorful? How can this be real? Nature and her glory.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

2 Likes

LOL, thank you for your consideration :wink: But yes, this is what I’m here to do, and I am enjoying it.

I love the image and love your love for it too. The way you right about it, both asks questions and answers them. To me, this image demonstrates our fascination with the natural world and an openness to be surprised.

It also speaks of the futility of judgement. "Oh, that muddy old river is ugly, what would I photograph that? At the same time, when we see the pointlessness of judgement, it opens up avenues to aesthetics that we would not have thought possible. Here, we have a sunset in golden light, playing out on an infinitely chaotic, yet beautiful surface.

Can you love her without make-up?

I love this scene, but could also love it in black and white, or with a cooler tone. Each of those facets reflects a different version of ourselves and that is the gift of expressive photography.

@Alister_Benn thank you for the wonderful comments and suggestions. I truly appreciate them.

Here’s a B&W version:

And a cooler toned version:

Cheers,
David

1 Like

Oh I like the cool version very much! To me it adds a frisson of mystery the others don’t have.

1 Like

Now isn’t that cool - two more facets of your personality now have a voice… I love both of them for different reasons. Great work, The cooler one is really singing to me right now :wink:

1 Like