Little Blue Heron

Saw this Little Blue Heron at Bailey Tract, Ding Darling NWR. I like the setting here with the different layers and colors of leaves.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/1000s, hand held

@allensparks.wildlife
1 Like

The perch and the pose are so distinctive! Really shows off the rich blue of the feathers. And how different a green the legs is. Pretty great. Just for grins, maybe see if you can increase the orange in the branch its on so it stands out and widens the color palette. And clone out the leaf coming just from behind the leg and pointing right. Ok, it took me an age to come up with my ‘suggestions’. Fabulous bird. I’ve only photographed one once in Louisiana. We only get the big blues up here.

You caught a great pose and head turn, Allen. I like the habitat and your technique is excellent as always. After Kristin pointed out the leaf I noticed that small white spine projecting from it. The leaf doesn’t bother me, but the spine really draws my eye. If I changed anything it would be to take a bit off the bottom to lower the apparent angle to the bird. This is a great image. You had a really productive trip.

Really nice image, Allen. The leaf didn’t bother me until Kris and Dennis mentioned it because the bird is so imposing in the image. Change the leaf or not, doesn’t matter to me.

Hi Allen! I love that color blue in front of the green! Such a beautiful combination! And if you do take that leaf out I’m going to wonder why is there a branch behind the bird and where did the end of it go! Haha! Just kidding!

It is a really nice setting for the photo. As you mentioned the layering of bg gives a feeling of depth to the image. I had also noticed the leaf. You could always rub a bit of bg overtop to cover it up a bit. Lovely pose.

The slightly darker BG helps push the heron out from the scene. I think that your comp is fine and the overall scene is very pleasing to the eye. well done…Jim

The blue heron on green background really makes this pop well. Very pleasing image.