Little Dixie CA

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Some times I just go for long walk in the local conservation area and always carry a camera. Sometimes an image just seems to call.

Technical Details

Nikon Z6, 24-70mm lens at 30mm, ISO 100, f11, 1/125sec. on a tripod.

Garry, thanks for sharing this. I can see why you were drawn to this view with the tree that is so vibrant and alive next to the dead tree. I can imagine this being used to illustrate the cycle of life or some other concept, but I’m not sure if it works on its own. Often, when you have two main objects in a scene our eyes are pulled between them and unable to settle on either of them. I suppose you could have focused on just the dead tree and made an interesting black and white image of it with a couple of the far background trees for contrast while still keeping the focus on just one tree. Hope this is helpful .

Erik, thanks for taking the time to critique my image. I really appreciate you views and think you are probably right. Some times we just need other eyes to see. As for shooting the dead tree and converting to black and white, if I get the right conditions I will give it a try.

Garry,

A bit late here, but I wanted to comment.

I think this is a lovely landscape and honestly, my very first thought was the plains of Africa… This just has that “safari” look to it. I especially like the inclusion of the distant trees at varying distances. I think these trees actually help tell a story. But I never would have thought CA. I don’t recognize the name, but this could be anywhere up or down the central valley of CA.

The only thing that draws my eye a bit iw the white-ish plant along the lower edge just right of center. Not an image killer by any means, but I think mitigating that will keep the eye from being drawn there. No biggie though.

Glad you stopped and recognized the potential.

Lon