Solitary majesty

Edit (increased vibrance, deleted distracting blue deadwood)

Alt B&W version

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another glorious day of solitude hiking in the desert with gems like this everywhere.

Specific Feedback

In addition to the lit-up cottonwood, I was drawn to the yellow-purple contrast of the foreground and background. Have I emphasized it enough but not too much?

Any/all comments appreciated, thanks.

Technical Details

Canon EOS RP + RF 24-70 @ 42 mm.
1/80s, f/11, ISO 400

5 Likes

WOW … I have nothing constructive to say! What a perfect image Cathy!

1 Like

An eye-catching image! I can’t decide if the bright branches are maybe a bit too bright.

Cathy, this is a wonderful scene. The branches really stand out. Well done. I can imagine this in B&W too with heavy darkening of the background and foreground to make the branches even more prominent. Well done.

This is the type of photograph that I have envisioned making. The highlighted branches are stunning and contrast nicely with the wall in the background. To your specific question, I wonder if increasing the luminance or saturation in the foreground and background would make the tree stand out more. I do think the composition is nice. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Cathy, this is spectacular! I love the colors in this image.

@Robert_Mance @Ronald_Murphy @David_Bostock @Robert_Betka @Nico.Rebolo Thank you for your kind words! Felt like I was in the right place at the right time for this one.

Ronald, I was also wondering about the brightness of the branches. I’ll play with that a bit.

David, I agree it would be interesting to see in B&W too. Good idea. I’ll give it a go.

Robert B, thanks for your thoughts on the luminance and saturation in the FG and BG. I’ll give that a whirl too.

Cathy,

This is gorgeous! I love how the frosted winter tree branches stand out against both the background and foreground. In fact, I think the subdued saturation enhances that separation. I suppose playing with those colors, sat, or even luminosity could make the tree stand out even more, but I certainly love this the way it’s presented.

I only have 1 minor suggestion and feedback. At least for me, the dead wood/stump/roots mixed among the grasses near the base of the tree, have a somewhat strong blue cast. Now I know, and I try and observe that the blue light on a gray, weathered log will actually be quite visible and of course the camera’s sensor will record that. But from a purely aesthetic perspect, the blue scattered in the grasses is a slight eye magnet. I think for sure if you were to print this you might want to take a look at that. Very minor and picky, of course. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lon, thank you for your comments! I am not quite satisfied with the colors in the FG & BG so I’ll try playing with saturation & lumenosity as you suggest and see if it looks better. And I totally agree about the blue dead wood being an eye magnet! Thanks for pointing that out! It’s an artifact of my inexperienced processing. I’ll also address that when I get a chance to rework it (day job is really inconvenient when all I want to do is edit photos!)

1 Like

Edited versions posted, according to suggestions. Thanks for all the comments!

Good morning! Lon was right, fixing that blue cast was a very good call! I LOVE the new version much more! The B&W is also fantastic but I way prefer the color version. Well done!

Thanks Robert! I totally agree that Lon’s suggestion to fix the blue deadwood made a big improvement.

Cathy, this is a great image! Especially the updated version. I don’t have any comments that haven’t already been made. Great job!

1 Like

Black and White is stunning.!!!

1 Like

@Steve_Kennedy @Gill_Vanderlip Thanks for your positive comments! Gil, glad you like the B&W, I was wondering if the midtones are too dark on that? I wrestled with it for a while and had a hard time keeping them dark enough so I didn’t loose the white pop but light enough to still be interesting.