Little Red

A re-edit with Dennis’s suggestions - too much of a crop?

Red squirrels are my favorites. They’re so lively and curious. Plus they often scold me from high in a tree and do the back foot dance. It’s so funny. But they also take a beating, whether from scrapping with other squirrels (these guys are pretty aggressive) or from the many predators that find them tasty. This female shows it in her ragged ears and the wound just below. I think the fur disarray is shedding rather than damage, but who knows.

I put some seeds on this rock in my side yard hoping for birds, but knowing I’d get rodents. It’s ok and I got fairly close to her with the long lens so this isn’t much of a crop. Since reds rely most on conifer seeds and the lots on this side of the road don’t have many, we also don’t get many reds. This past year though a pair have moved in and this is my first serious try at photographing them. It’s a tiny bit artificial, given the seeds, but I want them to get more used to me prowling with the camera.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is helpful since I’m a wildlife newbie.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Lumix G9
Leica DG 100-400 f/4-6.3 @ 400mm (800mm equiv.)
f/6.3 | 1/800 sec. | ISO 1000
Handheld sitting on the edge of my patio

Lr processed for tonal improvements as well as clarity & texture. A bit of a crop, sharpening & nr. Used a radial filter to isolate her a bit more - reduce exposure around her and boost her color saturation.

@the.wire.smith

Very good detail in the squirrel, Kris. I like the pose and the setting. You might look at cropping up a bit from the bottom and toning down those hightlights in the upper right background, but a fine image as posted.

Thanks Dennis. I put another try up in the OP. If it ever warms up again I can sit out waiting for her to come by again.

I hear it’s a bit brisk back there. I like the new crop.