Female Red Fox

She was chasing squirrels and birds in my back yard when I noticed her. I slipped outside with the camera, and she immediately bolted for cover, which was unusual. I had to pan on her quickly before she went behind some tree limbs.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I shot a quick burst, and this was the only one where I got her face in focus. I had no time to compose a shot!

Technical Details

Canon R7, Canon RF100-500mm, f5.6, 1/640 sec, ISO 320. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz DeNoise.

2 Likes

Great action shot, Terry. Love the beautiful orangeish fir coat. I think sometimes you just take the shot, even though you know it won’t be perfect, but what a capture. As is this one!

Thanks @linda_mellor. I forgot my Golden Rule of wildlife photography: Always expect the unexpected! I should have been ready for her to run. But at least I got one decent photo.

1 Like

I always enjoy your fox captures. You lucky dog. You have grays AND reds that’ll show themselves in the daylight. I only have grays that are strictly nocturnal (trail cam shots only). What a cool pose. You may not have the ability but I’m thinking a little more meat on the left for her to run into could work. Well done.

Thanks @Dave_Douglass. That’s all the room I have on the left, unfortunately, though I could add canvas. I was behind her all the way, which also resulted in a little lack of sharpness. I am indeed very fortunate to have these animals around. Hopefully, she’ll give me another chance.

I can relate. More than once I have kept shots of fast flying birds taking off that I didn’t have a chance to position them in the frame but kept them anyway. Sometimes ideal cropping isn’t everything IMHO

1 Like