Female Red Fox

This was a good angle to catch this girl to show off the fact she looks a little plump - as if she might be carrying a litter of kits? Time will tell…

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I wish the background wasn’t quite so busy but, hey…it’s a fox in the woods.

Technical Details

Canon R7, Canon RF 100-500mm Zoom @ 270mm, f5.6, 1/640 sec., ISO 320, Ev -0.3 step. Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz DeNoise.

Great catch with a wonderful pose, Terry. Awesome. The background is a bit busy as you said, but it’s not too distracting.

I’m curious about using DeNoise on an ISO 320 image? I don’t know that I would have thought to do that. What benefits did you see? I ask because I am working on a new workflow for my high ISO images.

Cheers,
David

Thanks @David_Bostock. I used DeNoise not so much because the image was noisy - it wasn’t - but because DeNoise seems to give me some slight sharpening. IMO, the sharpening is better than I can get in PSE. If I set DeNoise very low (I think this one was around 7), I seem to get some slight sharpening with no apparent artifacts. I’m of the opinion that just about every image can use some very slight sharpening.

1 Like

Wonderful catch, with a good pose. The light is frustrating for the BG but not bad on the fox. I wonder if the shadows might be pulled up a little, and maybe highlights reduced, maybe just on the BG?

Hoping for baby pictures!!

1 Like

You have a good subject but, may be, wrong time of the day.
As for the background, you may try to reduce the contrast and see.

1 Like

Great catch here Terry; like the pose and color on her. Yes, the sun was out and background chaotic, but hey, it’s not in a studio for sure. Some of the larger pieces of wood actually form a partial frame around her. Got to make the best of what we’re offered and I think you’ve done that.

Thanks @Jim_Lockhart. I posted it mainly because I thought, as chubby as she is, she’s obviously carrying a litter of kits.