Living trees

Was wondering through my local woods and was attracted to a small bent tree with some direct light from a gap in the canopy. I was just carrying my camera with a 100-400 lens looking for wildlife and small scenes in the woods.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
hand held ISO 1000, 1/400, f7.1. 88mm on full frame. It was naturally a high contrast scene. However, I did some adjustments to reduce the exposure in the upper right portion of the image to bring focus to the shape of the tree trunk.

@bryannelsonca
4 Likes

Bryan, the high contrast b&w, does an excellent job of showing off both the shape and the textures here. It’s quite sensous.

1 Like

Very dramatic with the BW treatment. It really brings out the texture. I love the wonderful S curve of the trunk. Very graceful.

1 Like

Oh, nice. It’s more than a tree trunk. I agree that it’s both sensuous and graceful.

1 Like

Wonderful. It looks like we are looking over the neck and shoulder of a person but then the skin is not right, alien, so look again, and see the tree, which we are reminded is a fellow being due to this anthropomorphic twist.

1 Like

Beautiful! I know it is easy to miss seeing something like this—the forest for the trees—and then to see it as you have: good work!

1 Like

Very well put together image! Upon first glance, I thought I was looking over the shoulder of a person.

1 Like

Kind of reminds me of an elephant trunk. I love the black and white treatment and the high contrast in this John. The very shallow depth of field works well too. Nicely seen.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the encouraging comments. This image is one of my favorites. Just thankful that NPN has the weekly challenge (@Mark_Seaver) and able to show both old or new images. I enjoy seeing what other members post every week.