Long-legged Fly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw this tiny fly in our garden this morning. The fly is eating some kind of tiny spider or ant in the first image. I didn’t realize they were predators.

Specific Feedback

Any.
Any thoughts on the cropping. This guy was super tiny even for my crop sensor with 1.4x on the macro lens.

Technical Details

Canon 7D mark II, Sigma 150mm macro, 1.4x teleconverter, Speedlite with Angler diffuser
ISO 640, f32, 1/250s, hand held

1 Like

I like them both, Allen. Congrats on the f32. I do prefer the second, both the composition and the colour of the BG (the brown in the first one could be toned down). But of course catching the prey too is a big plus - so maybe clone out the top 20% or so of the first shot to get an even closer view?

1 Like

Wow, Allen, you caught him with his meal. Nice. Nice details of the fly in both shots. I’m good with both compositions. I guess where it is just a leaf there is no distraction from the subject. Great find and capture.

1 Like

Here’s a quote from The University of Ohio:

Long-legged flies are predators and are therefore considered beneficial to have around for pest control . They have been known to feed on a rather wide variety of other small arthropods, including other flies, thrips, aphids, mites, springtails, leafhoppers, whiteflies, beetle larvae, and even termites!

This is new information for me as well, Allen.
This is the second lesson of the day for me regarding nature. (So far) :smiley:

Both compositions and perspectives are great in my view, and of course the one with the prey is especially interesting to me.
You did a great job with focus on such a tiny creature! Very well done!
I do have one small suggestion and it is subjective to be clear, but to me they both seem just a bit too bright, maybe try lowering the brightness and bump up the contrast a smidge?
It’s a pretty minor thing really but it might be worth exploring to see how it comes across to you.

Really nicely done, Allen!
Thanks!! :smiley:

1 Like

Wonderful subject, detail, setting and behavior! They could hold up to a litte tighter crop but purely your call – this shows them as a small subject.

1 Like

Learned something new today and I’m always appreciative of that. Great looks at this little wonder. Flies vary so much, but they also have the same adaptations in certain groups like this one. Glad it stopped for a moment to grab a snack and give you some time with it. I like your bright, vivid processing - it goes with the long-leggedness and gives the feeling of a bright, summer day.

1 Like