Look Behind You

Another image from the Acadia coast after a noreaster had passed through. I decided to go B&W with this one as the light was pretty flat. I did not notice until zooming in to check for dust spots that the photographer on the right is checking out the wave as it explodes behind them. Using the two figures as a scale I am guessing that the wave was 50-60’ tall. As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 86 mm, f 10 @ 1/800 sec, ISO 640, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I hope that photographer had both his equipment insurance and will up to date…

Great choice to render this in B&W, it does an especially nice job on granite cliffs. And you did a good job with two wave actions, the big one at the top, and little ones at the base of the cliff. And without those people, this shot is nowhere near as interesting. You couldn’t have asked them to stand in a better place. My only suggestion for improvement would be to burn the darker tones in the water to make the big wave stand out more

This presentation has a real nice old school B&W kind of gritty grainy look to it that works well. I like the decision to convert this, as it makes it feel colder and a sense of fighting the elements as well as the waves. I like @Ed_McGuirk 's suggestion.

Pretty impressive, Ed. Wise choice on the B&W. I converted most of mine too. Composition and timing of the wave is spot on. No critiques or suggestions other than a small dark spot in the wave. Looks too small and dark to be a spot on sensor so probably a piece of seaweed maybe.
:vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute: :vulcan_salute:

Ed,

Agree with others that a great choice in going b&w. I’m wondering too if carrying it further with a sepia approach? Just a thought.

The takes me to my comment I just left for Mark with the migrating geese in the moonrise image. Here the human element is so small, yet so vital to the overall impression this scene captures and presents.

I would agree with Harley in raising the brights a little to the wave action, but that’s minor.

Lon