Rough Surf

This was taken just before sunset after a noreaster had passed through. This was the first time I have shot under these conditions and I have to say I had a blast. Some of the waves were in excess of 60’ so you had to be aware of your surroundings. Thanks for taking a peek and leaving a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 80 mm, f 16 @ 1/500 sec, ISO 640, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice shot, Ed. I like the composition and also how the sunlight is catching the top of the wave. The SS is also a nice change of pace to freeze the motion.
:vulcan_salute:

Real nice highlight and stop action of the wave spray, with gorgeous light on it. I might burn down the bottom center white water, as I find it kind of competes with the spray. Not a huge deal.

I also love the highlights at the top of the surf, Ed. It’s quite lovely. I echo Harley’s suggestion about the pool at the bottom.

I’ve only been able to shoot big waves on our coast a couple of time, but agree with the blast (literally) part. I also agree about the awareness; I’ve lost a lens to a big wave, and was glad it was only that.

I’ll echo about the stop action and light catching the top of the wave. Based on your description I do wish there was something closer to the wave that gave a size perspective; it’s hard to tell how big that guy is.

Ed,

Great timing and what an awesome display and spray of the crashing wave. And while there isn’t the scale reference as has been mentioned, the frothy, angry ocean on the right gives us a few clues as to the drama of the morning.

I would agree slightly about the bottom pool of foamy water. The only other suggestion I have would be to bump up the brighter part of the wave where the light is striking. I like the line of light in the bg as well, and I think somehow you could increase the difference between light and dark(er) to emphasize that streaking light. Hope that makes sense.

Lon

1 Like

With these waves, it looks like we are lucky to still have you here Ed :smile:

I like the shutter speed, it creates some interesting texture in the sunlit spray. I agree with @Lon_Overacker about bumping up the luminosity of that spray. I would also consider slightly darkening the gray tones in the sky, which would also further accentuate the sunlit spray.

I also love the light along the sunlit shore as it make it’s way to Sand Beach, it’s a nice juxtaposition with the sunlit spray. I might consider killing two birds with one stone. A more panoramic crop would further emphasize the light in the spray and shoreline, and de-emphasize that pesky foam in the foreground. Dodging and burning of the spray and sky also included.